Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Hello In The Clouds

So, it has been a month since I posted in our little family blog. A month spent swimming, going to amusement parks, playing in the sandbox, taking lots of senior pictures, and preparing for our first BIG family vacation.

We took the kids to Washington D.C. for a couple of days and then on to the Outer Banks, NC. The moment our feet hit the sand in the OBX, we were in love and are already talking about next year.

On the way home from the OBX, we stopped in Uniontown, PA to visit my Grandparents grave. It was an emotional ride once we crossed over from Maryland. Lots of memories flooded my mind. As I told the kids stories about going to Laurel Caverns or taking Pappy on rides up the mountain to get fudge for my twin cousins, I got teary-eyed. The thought that my Granny Pike would have had such a great time with my kids made me sad. We went right through town and I saw what used to be the bowling alley, the Gallatin Bank, the Medicine Shoppe, and the Long John Silvers that has a huge treasure chest for kids to pick out of. Things and places I haven't thought about in a long time.

As we were driving in the mountains, I looked into the sky and saw the smallest sliver of a rainbow. It has not rained at all, so I'd like to think this was Granny Pike's way of saying "Whoopie! You are here!"

No comments: