Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 13 - A Picture of Your favorite Band or Artist

Anyone that knows me, knows I am a Duranie. Have been since I was 12 years old.

I have been fortunate to be front row center a couple of times when they reunited in 2004-2005. I temporarily lost my mind those nights. I also happened to have the blind luck to be at the Hard Rock Cafe Pittsburgh when they dropped by for a little meet and greet. Honestly, I screamed like I did February 27, 1984 when I first saw them at the Richfield Coliseum. My favorite Duran Duran related story happened that night.

Pictures from Baltimore & Pittsbugh 2005

me--->
me holding Rogers hand. He gave me his wrist band ---->

At age 12, I ate, slept, and breathed Duran Duran. When the 7 and the Ragged Tiger Tour dates were announced, I camped out at the ticket outlet (which was inside Sears at the Great Lakes Mall.) For what it was worth, I got crappy seats, but didn't care one bit. I remember thinking I'd be breathing the same air as Simon LeBon. I was sure I'd pass out. (Little did I know I was breathing the same air as one, Bill Polewchak.)

February 27 comes and NE Ohio is hit with the biggest snowstorm it has seen since the "Blizzard of '77." I remember coming home and my mom telling me we would not be going because she was afraid to drive the almost 1 hour drive to the Coliseum.

I sat on our blue tweed couch and cried my eyes out.

My Dad came home from work, took one look at me and said, "Get dressed. I'll drive you."

So he did. It was an awful drive, but here is the kicker.......

There were no parents waiting area back in those days. He sat IN THE CAR and waited for us in that freezing snowstorm.

The concert was on a Monday night. It was so bad school was cancelled for the rest of the week.

I know. I was a lucky, lucky girl.

No comments: