Monday, January 26, 2009

The Silliness That Is Our Lives Part.

Today while my kiddo's were securely zipped into their sleeping bags and in their cribs, I decided to brave the cold (high of 17 today) and walk to the end of the driveway for the mail. Make that walk to the mailbox in my PJ's, basically workout type sweats and a thermal shirt, & crocs--to get the mail. Let me backtrack a little at this point. A few weeks ago we finally got a new side door installed on our house. The old one was crappy and had one lock....just a regular door knob with the switch you turn clockwise to unlock. You had to unlock it to get outside. The new door is a bit fancier and has two locks, one of which is the lever style that you can push to open without turning the switch to actually unlock the door. (Key information, people.) To add another twist to the story, when the guys were installing the door, they unplugged the keypad to open our (attached) garage door from outside so they could plug in their tools. When we plugged it back in, the code was gone and Bill couldn't get it reset. The previous owners of this house were so helpful that they left us all manuals for just such an emergency. Fixing the garage door went on the "honey-do" list. Maybe I should use a little reverse psychology and call it a "honey-don't" list, but I digress. Are you putting two and two together? Did it add up to Shelley stupidly standing outside a (fancy) locked door in her PJ's while her 20 month old twins were settled down for a nap inside, thinking about the (non-working) keypad on the attached garage door? Ding-Ding-Ding. You win the prize. When that door clicked behind me, I literally had a sinking feeling in my stomach. I ran to the keypad, hoping for some miracle knowing it wasn't going to work. I ran next door, woke up my poor neighbor (she works 2nd) and called Bill. I can't remember exactly what I said, but it was something like "the kids are asleep and I am locked out. Come home NOW." I don't think time has gone as slowly since Nolan's surgery. I felt helpless and stupid. I just kept thinking....what if this is the day one of them wakes up and decides to try to climb out of the crib and then falls and breaks their collarbone or worse! They were sound asleep once we got in the house, having had no clue they were home alone and could have been having the time of their lives. I will not be winning any Mom of the Year awards anytime soon! Things added to the honey-do don't list: 1. Get copies of keys to neighbors 2.Get copies of keys to neighbors

1 comment:

Nancy Heller said...

Glad it all turned out such that you can file it under "silliness."