Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Full Circle

So I never imagined I'd spent another May 10th in a hospital. The last one was pretty eventful and certainly could never be topped.

But, as fate would have it, there we were in the wee hours of May 10 back in a hospital.

We were missing one. And missing her a lot. When Nolan's night nurse came in for his 4am vitals, she wished him a Happy Birthday and he said, "Yeah, and its my sister, Reagan's birthday too. She is home with Dad. I miss her." My gosh, that boy knows how to get to me.

 Nolan was diagosed with Immune thrombocytopenic purpura; ITP. Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura is a bleeding disorder in which the immune system destroys platelets, which are necessary for normal blood clotting. Persons with the disease have too few platelets in the blood.

It was looking like we would spending the whole day (and another night) in the hospital, in fact Miss Sarah from "Child Life" came by to plan a birthday party for the twinadoes, but when that news came down that  Nolan had responded so well to the first IVIG infusion that he would not need another and we could go home!
They waited for Reagan to arrive and then they brought the cake and sang and then came the gifts. Three for each of them. Three really nice gifts.

Of course, I cried.

It's a rarity that your child has to spend his birthday in the hospital, but the folks at Cleveland Clinic sure made it a day to remember. Even if Mommy wants to forget parts of it! Reagan made out, no pain and she still got the loot!

We were in the car on the way home when 1:05pm struck. The moment Reagan was born. And then a minute later, Nolan.

I didn't care. We were together and that was all that mattered.

1 comment:

Ash said...

I absolutely love your family! I am glad he is responding so well-
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TWINADOS!