Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Nolan Update

I took Nolan to the hemotology clinic at CCF (which is also the children's oncology clinic) this morning. The plan was to be seen and treated there instead of being admitted to the hospital as long as I was comfortable taking him home.


the numbing cream was put on his ridiculously bruised arms, I met with the doctor and fellow who will be on Nolan's case. Of course, there will be no immediate answers. This could resolve in a few weeks, months or never. It's just wait and see and we all know how patient I am.

They decided since the IVIG didn't work as they hoped, that we would try a new medicine, WINRHO. Two blown veins and three sticks later, the IV was finally in. It was terrible. My heart actually hurt for him. The transfusion took a lot less time than the IVIG, 20 minutes as compared to 4 hours, so I was thankful for that. We are home now, but have to go back in tomorrow for a blood draw.

Today's experience was way more traumatic than the ER/ambulance/hospital stay for both Nolan and I. The blown veins were painful for him and hard for me as his parent to watch him be poked over and over with no success.

The reality has set in that this is something that is going to affect our lives for the indefinite future and severly limit the activities Nolan (and therefore Reagan) will be able to do.

Once again, your thoughts and prayers are appeciated by us all. We are lucky to have so many caring people in our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stay strong Shelley. Prayers to you.