Friday, August 15, 2008

My Sweet Babies

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.” -Elizabeth Stone I have never felt so much love than when I look at my children. While they are typical 15 month-olds and have their stubborn moments, they are also incredibly sweet kids. Recently, there have been some moments that just make me laugh and cry at the same time. Reagan, Bunny, Babycakes. We'll start with Reagan since, after all, she is the oldest. That 60 seconds will come into play in a few years, I suspect. Reagan can shoot you a look that puts chills up and down your spine when she doesn't want to do something. She also enjoys taking away the toy Nolan has, just because she can. But most other times she is a sweet and caring child. Reagan has become a morning cuddler. After breakfast we watch Sesame Street and Super Why! and play. During Super Why! she gets up in my lap, puts her two fingers in her mouth and rests her head on my shoulder. There is nothing more soft than those wisps of hair under my nostrils. On the car ride home after the car accident, Nolan was very upset. They were seat-belted (cops suggestion, not mine) in the back of the 911 for the short ride home. It was pouring rain and Bill got them out of the van and ran them to the car. It was wet, noisy, and scary back there for the kids. Even though Reagan was upset too, she tried to comfort her brother by rubbing his arm as they both put their heads together on the hump between the seats. It was the most pitiful sight to see, knowing I couldn't hold them and comfort them at that moment, but amazing to see their connection with each other. I cried the whole way home. Reagan gives big kisses. She will stop playing to come over and give me a smack on the lips just because she feels like it. Reagan, you will be the leader and be in charge as you shown us at your young age, but you will always stop to give your brother a helping hand as you have done so many times already. Like Mother, like daughter....falling asleep reading. Nolan, Nolinski, Bubaloo. Nolan is the sweetest boy I have ever met. He is kind, patient, soft-spoken, and gentle. He reminds me so much of my Dad. He always has a smile and a laugh for you. Daddy calls him joker-boy and he gives a great laugh a la Spanky from the Little Rascals. He is shy around strangers at first, but warms up after a while. Wednesday after dinner, I picked up him and he was facing me, looking into my eyes, and he took his hands and tapped my chest and said, "My momma!" Oh.My.Gosh. Talk about melting. Bill was on the phone and he looked at me with a stunned look as the tears ran down my face. Never were words spoken so sweetly, at least to my ears. Thursday morning after getting his diaper changed, I stood him up on the changing table and he leaned into my arms, kissed my shoulder while saying "awww." We have been working on saying "grammy" or "grandma" with no luck until Thursday. All of a sudden, in his sing-song soft voice came "graaannnnmmmaa" from the back seat when we picked my mom up. Now, not only was I in tears, but my mom too. Nolan likes to blow kisses. he puts both hands to his mouth and says "mmmmmm" and blows the kiss over and over. Nolan, you are a sweet, funny, kind-hearted, lovable boy with the patience of Job. You get upset when your sister takes something from you, but you don't fight back. You bring a smile to so many people, like the lady that saw you through the window when we were having lunch yesterday. She said she just had to stop to look because you looked adorable slurping up a spaghetti noodle. Nolan and his favorites, blankie & monk.

No comments: