Sunday, August 17, 2008

When Reading Makes Me Mad

I've always been a reader. When I was in 3nd grade I was written about in the paper because I read 127 books for my local libraries summer reading club. When I turned 16 I got a job at said library so I could have first crack at new stuff (and it was cleaner than working in fast food.) Not that I have much free time to read these days, but when I do I want to relax and enjoy the book, not get worked up about it. Les Roberts is one of the authors on my "list." I've read all his stuff and anxiously await new material. If you live in Cleveland and don't know about Les, shame on you! His Milan Jacovich character is a P.I. in our fair city and it is fun to read about places you've been. Les lives in Cleveland and I've had the pleasure of meeting him about a year ago. He is a character himself! I picked up the latest Milan book from the library, The King Of The Holly Hop, recently. When I got to page 2, I had to stop reading and email my equally as geeky (in regards to books) friend, Kathy, since one of the characters shares her maiden name. Her Dad quickly went out and bought the book. (You are welcome, Les!) Anyway, I settle in to tag along on the latest Milan adventure when I turn the page and stumble upon handwriting on the page. The librarian in me got irritated right away. Once I read what was written in regards to what the characters were talking about I was downright fuming.
In case you can't read it, one of the characters in the book is telling Milan about when he "came out of the closet." Milan answered "That's nothing to be ashamed of." Next to that sentence in faint pencil is written, "Yes it is." Red. I saw RED. What a coward!!!! First of all to hide behind the anonymity of defacing a library book to spew your utter stupidity is ridiculous, but to not even have the balls to do it IN PEN!! If you are going to be that full of hate, you might as well go all the way and commit to it because as soon as I calmed down enough to think straight I found my trusty No. 2 pencil and erased your yellow-bellied attempt at spreading your cheer and good will toward ALL. After blowing off the erasing shavings (what do you call those bits that hang onto the paper after erasing?), I settled back down and picked back up with Milan......... all was well until I turned the page!
The quote is "As long as you are happy, that's what counts." In thin pencil "WRONG" ARGH "Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.” James Dewer, Sr.

2 comments:

Les Roberts said...

Nolan - thanks for blogging about this. Of course I'm always enraged when anyone pencils something into one of my books---or into ANY book, for that matter. And when their penciled comments are so full of ignorance and hatred, it makes them look even more ridiculous. With this particular character it's pretty easy to appear like a slack-jawed fool.

If I were you I'd report this to the librarian; it shouldn't be all that difficult for her/him to trace who the scribbler really is. When you find out, PLEASE let me know, so I can write him and remind him that he is neither literate nor intelligent enough to even read one of my books.

Thanks again and take care,
Les Roberts

Shelley said...

Mr. Roberts-
Thanks so much for the comment on our little ole blog!

As a former librarian any writing/damage to any book bothers me. Old habits, I guess!

Looking forward to the next Milan adventure.

Regards,
Shelley (Nolan's mommy--he's only 15 months old!)