Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Library Ladies

As you probably know, I used to work at a library system. It was my first job when I turned 16 and I stayed for 10 years. When I moved up as far as I could go at that time, I moved on. It was a super hard decision because I had made so many friends and it was a good, clean environment to work in. We also went out a lot and had lots of fun. We used to call ourselves the Bad Girls of the library. We might have been the stereotypical librarians by day, but at night...... look out!

Some of the library ladies still work at the old 'brary and some don't. Some have moved far away. Nancy, my former manager and good friend, was in town so I figured a Bad Girls Night Out was in order.

We met at the history-laden (for me) Panini's. This is where Bill DJ'ed when it was the Brickhouse and the infamous Ladies Nights took place. Guess my life turned out the way it did thank to all those free Malibu & OJ's I consumed. (I can't even smell the stuff now, but that is another story!)

It was so good to catch up and reminisce about old times. Many of us worked to bring a union to the library. While that was an incredible undertaking, we had a lot of fun doing it. It was good to look back on those fun and turbulent times. It is also ironic to find out that after all these years, some of the same stupidity is still happening! I guess as much as things change, they stay the same too.

It is safe to say that my formative years were spent with many of these women and my life is greater for having spent that time with them. I've made lifelong friends because of the library. I wouldn't know Kathy if it wasn't for the library. How empty and different (and sober) my life would have been! These are strong women. Cancer Survivors. Single Moms that worked two jobs to give their kids the best. Women that went to school, worked full time and raised a family. Smart, funny women. All women you want in your life.

I don't see them nearly enough.


Nancy (Grandma Nancy to my kids), Linda, Sandy


















Mary Beth, Renee, Kathy, Michele


















Colleen, Danny, & Evan (yes we let men that work(ed) at the library attend BGNO)












Miss Cheryl and the shortest glass she has ever seen















As the night grew longer, Miss Cheryl's drinks became shorter. It really is a short pour. Honest. Want to see me pour it back and forth into a glass!

1 comment:

tjsgrandma said...

It was sooo good to see all of you. We missed you Lori!

Thanks, Nancy, for buying one of Hannah's books. We apreciate it!

I agree, we should do this more often.

Michele